Home forums General Photography Anyone still shooting film/starting to shoot film?

2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by  Donna 1 year, 7 months ago
  • Donna
    Participant
    @dmac

I started back in the film days and have returned to film for some of my work. I found I missed the tactile quality of film photography. Digital, while great for many things, doesn’t have the hands-on that you get with film and the darkroom.

I think there’s room for both digital and film. It’s not an either/or situation. My approach is to choose the medium (film or digital) that will give me the end result I desire for a particular subject.

It would be great to connect and talk film with other film photographers on here.

• Timothy Griffin
    Keymaster
    @t12griffin

I loved working in a darkroom from the very beginning. That said , the switch to digital was really very easy for me. I believe , in the end it is about the image and not necessary the process. This is probably similar to discussions that went on at the advent of roll film over sheet film. But it really comes down to what does the person behind the camera want to create. This long winded answer to your question is , I don’t ever see myself returning to film.

• Donna
    Participant
    @dmac

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, digital has made many things a lot easier, for sure, but in other ways, it’s made things more difficult. More images to cull, more time digitally retouching, constant upgrade cycles on gear, etc.

Not that I’m complaining. Like I said, I like both processes. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.