Home forums Equipment Recommend a Lens hood for 72mm

4 replies, 2 voices Last updated by  John Planck 6 months ago
  • John Planck
    @jbplanck

Last summer I bought the new Nikon 16-80 2.8/4 lens. I use it quite a bit, I like it a lot. It seems more sensitive to producing sun flare/rings/spots than my other lenses. Sometimes by moving the camera up/down/sideways I can reduce or remove them. Sometimes I can hold my hand past the lens hood to block them. Of course if I am intentionally going high fstop to get a starburst sun I expect a bit of this and don’t mind. However, I loath them in my day to day shooting. I realize some of this may just be the physics of the lens glass itself, but still seeking improvement (if possible). It is also susceptible to chromatic aberration, but that is an easy fix in LR.

Any recommendations on a lens hood that could help? This is a 72mm lens and currently has the Nikon HB-75 lens hood that came with it.

Nikon HB-75 lens hood

• This topic was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  John Planck.
    David M Haupt
    Keymaster
    @vonhaupt

Are you shooting with any filters on the front of the lens?

John Planck
    @jbplanck

David, usually a circular polarizer. otherwise a UV just for protection.

David M Haupt
    Keymaster
    @vonhaupt

Adding filters does increase the potential of flaring. If you’re shooting towards the sun, a polarizer isn’t effective and probably could be removed. Also, I’m not a fan of using a UV filter for protection, that’s what the lens cap is for.

John Planck
    @jbplanck

Thanks David. I will try going filter-less when shooting into the sun.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.